Alexa has come a long way in the past few years. Not only has it made its way into more homes than ever before, but it can now do more than ever. If you’ve just treated your home to an Amazon Echo, here are the first steps you need to take:
Quick step guide
- Connect your Echo to a power supply
- Install the Amazon Alexa app on your phone
- Open the app, tap ‘Devices’ then the + symbol
- Follow the instructions to connect the Echo to your Wi-Fi network and enter its password
- Alexa’s good to go
How to set up an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot
Once you’ve taken your virtual assistant out of the box, attach the power cable and plug to the power brick and then connect it to a plug socket. You’ll see the LED light circling around of the top and Alexa will instruct you to download the Alexa app to complete your set up.
If you don’t have an Amazon account already, setting up one is really easy. You can do this at www.amazon.co.uk/account.
- So, now you’ve got an account and have downloaded the app, open it and tap the Device symbol followed by the + symbol at the top right.
- Click on ‘Add Device’ and then ‘Amazon Echo’. This will prompt you to choose the model of echo you’ve purchased along with your language of choice.
- You’ll need to wait for an orange light on your echo and then click Continue.
- You’ll then be asked to select the Wi-Fi network you’d like it connected to. Pop in your password and your echo is online.
- The setup page will tell you try saying: ‘Alexa, what’s the weather?’. And just like magic, you’ll get the answer.
Amazon Echo tips and skills
Sure, Alexa is great for giving you the latest news and playing an abundance of your favourite morning tunes, but it can make life a whole lot easier when paired up with compatible smart gadgets. These range from lights, thermostats, switches and even a key tile which you can attach to your keys to help you find them when you’re having a ‘where are my keys?’ meltdown in the morning.
There are also a load of fun games you can play with Alexa. In fact, an Amazon Echo can do so much cool stuff, you’ll wonder how you ever got by with it.
What’s your favourite thing your Amazon Echo can do? Do you have any questions about your new Virtual Assistant? We’ll answer all your questions in the comments below.