Whether you just want to remove a WhatsApp group from your phone or delete it altogether, here’s how to stop all those notifications.
WhatsApp groups are great for planning events and nights out, especially when you’ve got a lot of people to organise. But when your night out was weeks ago, all those notifications can get a little irritating.
There are two ways to remove a WhatsApp group from your phone. Admin members can permanently delete WhatsApp groups, but if you’re not an Admin user, you can still remove it from your phone altogether.
If you’re an Admin user and you just want to leave a group, we’ll also show you how to assign Admin rights to someone else.
Permanently deleting a WhatsApp group
If you’re the Admin on your WhatsApp group, here are the simple steps you need to follow to permanently delete it.
Before you delete a group, it might be a good idea to let the other group members know. You can always assign Admin control to someone else and leave the group if others want to keep using it. We’ll show you how to do this next.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the group chat you want to delete.
- Tap the three dots at the top to open the menu, then choose Group info.
- You’ll now see a list of group members, and you’ll need to remove each one before you can delete the group. Press and hold on each person’s details, then tap Remove.
- Once you’ve removed each group member, tap Exit Group and confirm by tapping Exit.
- Now, you’ll see an empty group, just tap Delete Group and confirm by tapping Delete.
And that’s it, the group is gone.
Assign Admin control to someone else in your WhatsApp group
Before you assign Admin control to someone else, you should probably let the person know. If they’re finding the notifications just as annoying as you are, they might not thank you.
So as long as you’ve found someone who’s happy to manage the group, here’s how to switch Admin:
- Open WhatsApp and press and hold the Group you no longer want to manage.
- Tap Group info.
- Press and hold the name of the person you’d like to become Admin.
- Choose Make group admin.
- Now, you’ll need to remove yourself. So from the list of members, tap and hold your name, then choose Remove me.
Now that you’ve switched Admin control to someone else, you can follow the next step if you want to leave the group altogether.
How to leave a WhatsApp group and delete it from your phone
Want to disappear from your WhatsApp group without any fuss?
You can easily remove yourself from a group chat, and delete it from your phone, even if you’re an Admin user. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the group you’d like to leave to open it.
- Tap the name of the group at the top of the screen.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Exit group.
- Tap Exit to confirm.
That’s it, you’ll no longer see this conversation, or any notifications associated with the group.