Pairing your PS4 controller to an Android device
This part of the guide explains how to pair the gamepad to your phone or tablet. Before you start, make sure the controller is fully charged.
- On the PS4 controller, press and hold the PS button and the Share button at the same time. When the light bar starts flashing, you can release the buttons.
- On your Android device, swipe down from the top edge of the screen to view the Quick Settings. Press and hold your finger on the Bluetooth symbol to quickly see your Bluetooth settings.
- If you can't see a Bluetooth symbol, open your Apps list and tap on the Settings icon. You can usually find Bluetooth under Device connection or Wireless & networks, depending on your device.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on by tapping the switch at the top of the screen.
- You will see a list of nearby Bluetooth devices. Tap on Wireless Controller to start pairing your PS4 controller.
- Confirm you want to pair with the controller by tapping Pair. After a few seconds, the pad will appear under Paired devices.
Fixing common problems
Once your controller is connected, it should work properly right away. However, we've covered the two most common problems that can crop up below.
The control is lagging
If there's a delay between pressing a button and the screen responding, the connection could be unstable. To fix that, download a free app called 'Bluetooth Auto Connect' from Google Play.
- Once it's installed, connect the controller to your phone as above and open Bluetooth Auto Connect.
- Tap Advanced options > Debug.
- Return to the main app screen by pressing the Back button.
- Tap the box next to your PS4 controller to turn on automatic connection.
Now, if anything interrupts the signal, the app will quickly reconnect to stop the controller from lagging.
The button mapping is wrong
The controller's buttons are set automatically. If you want to swap them around, an app called Octopus Keymapper from Google Play lets you assign them the way you want.
With the controller connected, open Octopus Keymapper and choose what key each button represents.