If you’re lucky enough to be counting down the days to your upcoming holiday, it might be worth checking if you’re due a smartphone upgrade before you go. We’ve seen a few phone releases in 2019 that have absolutely blown us away with their incredible camera tech. From astonishing zoom capabilities to crystal-clear 4K video.
So, whether you love to get beautiful shots of the local architecture, or you want to capture every heart-stopping second on your next white-knuckle adventure, 2019 has a phone for you.
So let’s dive in and look at some of the best phones to take on holiday. We’ve picked three of our favourite ones that’ll make the ideal travel buddy, but each in slightly different ways.
Google Pixel 3 – the perfect all-round holiday companion
First and foremost, the Google Pixel 3 is a great looking phone. It’s beautifully designed with its rounded-edge screen and two-tone back, and probably one of the best looking phones out there.
But it’s the software that makes this phone such a good all-rounder.
The camera tech in particular is simply outstanding. Here’s what you get:
- Top Shot – a handy feature that uses Google AI to take multiple shots when you press the button and recommends the best one.
- Group Selfie Cam – ditch the selfie stick and stop straining your arms. The Pixel 3 comes with dual front facing cameras for wide-angled shots that’ll fit everyone in.
- Portrait Mode – ever wondered how to get that background blur effect to make your photos look like they were taken by a pro. Just tap Portrait Mode and the Pixel 3 will do the rest.
- Night Sight – the Pixel 3 uses AI to digitally alter images taken in low-light to appear clearer, bright and beautiful. Especially perfect for those rural overnight trips away!
Worried about running out of storage space for all those holiday snaps? With the Pixel 3, you don’t have to. Because it’s a Google phone, you get free unlimited storage for all your photos on Google Drive – so snap away to your heart’s content.
And with Google Assistant built in, all you need to do to get help is give the phone a squeeze to open your assistant. Get help with anything from currency conversions, directions, and even translating the local language in real-time.
Huawei P30 – for the photographer
The Huawei P30 and its bigger brother the P30 Pro offer arguably the best camera on any phone currently available.
When it comes to capturing stunning video and photos with your phone, you really won’t get much better than the P30 Pro. The image stabilisation when filming at full zoom just boggles the mind.
And then there’s the zoom itself – the P30 has a very clever periscope system that gives it the ability to offer 5x optical zoom. That’s something you don’t see every day!
As well as the second-to-none camera features, you also get reverse charging. So if you’re out and about and your friends running low on juice, just rest their phone on yours to give them a boost. And with the massive battery on the P30 Pro, you’ll have plenty to spare.
What you get from the P30 Pro:
- 5x Optical Zoom – for incredible wildlife and architecture shots, thanks to the ingenious periscope system.
- 10x Lossless Zoom – because why settle for 5x when you can have 10x?
- Wireless Reverse Charging – top up other phones and wireless charging devices by simply placing your phone on them.
- Optical Image Stabilisation – get super smooth video, even at full zoom, thanks to the powerful Optical Image Stabilisation software.
Samsung Galaxy S10 – perfect for the sun worshipper
The Samsung Galaxy S10 boasts the brightest screen capability of any smartphone display ever, making it perfect for using in bright sunlight. So whether you’re getting stuck into a holiday book by the pool or sneakily catching up on your favourite show on the beach, you won’t need to squint to see the screen.
That screen isn’t just bright either, it’s got an incredible 550ppi pixel density, that means whatever you watch will be crystal clear, even 4K content – which will be perfect for keeping you entertained on those long flights.
The camera’s no slouch either; you get a triple lens main camera with a wide-angle lens for regular shots, telephoto lens for those detailed close-ups and an ultra-wide lens to capture stunning scenery shots.
What you get with the Galaxy S10:
- Brightest phone display ever – so you see every detail, even in direct sunlight.
- Super Hi-Res screen – 550ppi resolution for pin-sharp results.
- Triple lens camera – capture any subject in any scene beautifully, with a dedicated lens for each scenario.
Fancy checking out some of our other incredible phones? Check out our full range of handsets to upgrade your holiday snaps.