How often do you sit frustrated as your smartphone tries to load a website over a slow data connection? You can waste a lot of time staring at that white screen, willing it to load. But an update to the Data Saver mode in Google Chrome’s Android app will end that problem.
The update cuts your data use by up to 70%. That means websites will load much faster over slow connections and you won’t have to worry so much about your data allowance.
Data Saver mode already lets Chrome compress websites before you download them, shrinking them by up to 50%. With the update, Chrome won’t automatically load images. Instead, it’ll wait for the rest of the page to load and then ask if you want to view all images or just tap on certain ones to load them individually.
To start using Data Saver mode, simply open the Chrome app, tap the menu icon in the top right, tap settings and scroll down to Data Saver. Once turned on, you can keep going back to this part of the settings to see exactly how much data you’ve saved.
Yesterday we heard how the three biggest networks cover 70% of UK homes with superfast 4G internet, but that still leaves 30% of homes on the slower 3G mobile data speeds. If you’re in one of these 4G ‘not-spots’, you could get a big benefit from this update to Chrome.
Google has said the Data Saver update will first hit Chrome users in India and Indonesia, but more countries will get it in the coming months.
Have you got the Data Saver update for your Chrome Android app? Let us know what you think of it in the comments below.